
This has been a sad week for Sharon and me as news of his death has caused us to reflect upon the life of President Hinkley. Living in Utah has allowed us to attend activities where he has presided, such at General Conference, and the Conference Center Christmas Programs. The many tv and radio and newspaper commentaries, along with the broadcast of his funeral service has also brought his life more clearly into focus for us. This has been a special time of quiet reflection on the life of a man who has meant so much to us. Like members of the Church the world over, we have loved President Hinkley as our Prophet, Seer and Revelator. We will miss his wise counsel and the tremendous leadership and selfless service he gave to build the Lord's Kingdom throughout the world.
Sharon and I remember a special occassion when President Hinkley came to St. Louis. He presided at a leadership meeting held in the Frontenac Building, which I was allowed to attend. Following the meeting a reception and dinner was held for President Hinkley and for Elder and Sister Eyring. I believe this trip to St. Louis to accompany Presidnt Hinkley was one of Elder Eyrings first assignments following his call to the quorum of the twelve. I was one of the first to go to the cultural hall to await the beginning of the dinner and while standing alone next to my place at the table, President Hinkley walked into the room by himself. He came over to me, shook my hand and I introduced myself to him as Dick Rees. He said, "You must be Grant Rees' son." He then complimented my Dad whom he had know when Dad was a Stake President and proceeded to his seat. Sharon arrived after the dinner began and did not have a chance to meet President Hinkley. When the dinner was over, as we were about to leave, I asked Sharon if she would like to remain a few minutes to meet the Prophet. She was a little reluctant to take any more of his time but, we turned around and waited until President Hinkley finished talking to the people surrounding him. He then walked straight toward us, extended his hand to Sharon, and said, "Why Sister Rees, how are you today!" Sharon was totally caught off guard and wondered how he seemed to know her so well. She shares this experience as one of her fondest memories. We have heard many times, this week, of experience like this one which have led so many people to think of President Hinkley as their personal friend. We will miss him dearly.
Sharon and I remember a special occassion when President Hinkley came to St. Louis. He presided at a leadership meeting held in the Frontenac Building, which I was allowed to attend. Following the meeting a reception and dinner was held for President Hinkley and for Elder and Sister Eyring. I believe this trip to St. Louis to accompany Presidnt Hinkley was one of Elder Eyrings first assignments following his call to the quorum of the twelve. I was one of the first to go to the cultural hall to await the beginning of the dinner and while standing alone next to my place at the table, President Hinkley walked into the room by himself. He came over to me, shook my hand and I introduced myself to him as Dick Rees. He said, "You must be Grant Rees' son." He then complimented my Dad whom he had know when Dad was a Stake President and proceeded to his seat. Sharon arrived after the dinner began and did not have a chance to meet President Hinkley. When the dinner was over, as we were about to leave, I asked Sharon if she would like to remain a few minutes to meet the Prophet. She was a little reluctant to take any more of his time but, we turned around and waited until President Hinkley finished talking to the people surrounding him. He then walked straight toward us, extended his hand to Sharon, and said, "Why Sister Rees, how are you today!" Sharon was totally caught off guard and wondered how he seemed to know her so well. She shares this experience as one of her fondest memories. We have heard many times, this week, of experience like this one which have led so many people to think of President Hinkley as their personal friend. We will miss him dearly.



2 comments:
That is such a neat story Dad! I'm glad that you shared that. He was such an amazing man. It just makes us all want to do a little better to follow in his example.
Yeah Dad, neat story. I don't think I ever heard that one. It's been neat to watch and read about all of his acomplishments. He really devoted his life serving the Lord. What a great example for all of us to follow.
Post a Comment