


Unfortunately, since most of our day is spent in office work, we don't share in many of the missionary experiences which the Elders and Sister's enjoy. But, occasionally we are able to interact with the Romanian people. This usually occurs when we travel places like to church or sometimes as we walk to and from the office. Because the buses are crowded and you sometimes wind up standing right next to someone, I will often say to them, "do you speak English", and if they do I start a conversation. When this happens, Sister Rees tries to pretend that she does not know me. It has been a good experience, however. I find that I mostly talk with young people since they seem to know how to speak English and I think they even enjoy trying their language skills on an older American gentleman. On one bus trip I met a lovely young lady who spoke almost perfect English. She was studying some chemistry papers and I inquired about them. She told me that she was in the 12th grade and that she hoped to be accepted into medical school the next year where she could get her medical degree in six years. She seemed very bright and ambitious and was intent on her course. I asked another young man who was over six feet tall if he played basketball. He said no but, that he played handball. I thought he meant American handball but, learn that he meant European handball which is played on a basketball like court, with a soccer net at either end, The players pass or dribble what looks like a miniature soccer ball down the court and then try to toss it past the defenders into the net for a score. This young man was really excited to tell me about the sport and answered some of the questions I had wondered about since seeing it played on tv. On another crowded bus I stood face to face to a 12 year old young man who was on his way home from an English class. I told him that was, "great, You can practice on me". We had a nice conversation and I found out that his father was a surgeon and his mother was also a physician. He wanted to study math and go into computers. He loved school and had snowboarded in Austria. He was also very bright and pleasant. Each time I talk to someone like this I explain the name tag I am wearing and tell them I am a missionary for the Mormon church. I give them a pass along card and tell them to look us up on our web page. These conversations all take place within a few bus stops and represent only a brief encounter but, perhaps they are conversations that will leave a favorable impression on the listener and create an opportunity for future discussions.
The man next to Sharon is not me, although he is my age. He is the guard at the Minister of Cult office which is where she picks up papers for the missionary visa's.



1 comment:
Enjoy hearing your stories, Dad. I don't know how well a "Minister of Cults" office would do here in the US, but I'm guessing something gets lost in the translation. Thanks for keeping us posted on your activities.
Post a Comment